Apple Pie Eggo® Empanadas
This quick, Eggo® empanada is a classic, warm apple pie in a handheld pocket. Delicious as breakfast or an indulgent dessert, use crispy, golden Eggo® Homestyle Waffles in place of empanada dough. Spread with simple apple pie filling, fold, and bake!
- 1 egg white, slightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium baking apple, peeled, cored and thinly sliced (Granny Smith, Rome Beauty, Northern Spy, Empire or Golden Delicious)
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 Kellogg’s® Eggo® Homestyle waffles
1. In small bowl whisk together egg white and water. Set aside.
2. In small nonstick skillet melt butter. Add apple slices. Cook, stirring frequently, over medium heat about 5 minutes or until apple is nearly tender. Stir in orange juice, brown sugar and cinnamon. Cook and stir for 2 to 3 minutes more or until liquid is syrupy. Remove from heat.
3. Place 2 of the frozen Kellogg's® Eggo® Homestyle waffles on microwave-safe plate. Microwave, uncovered, at high for 30 to 40 seconds or until just warm and flexible. Repeat with remaining waffles.
4. Spread one-fourth of the apple mixture down center of each waffle. Brush waffle edges with egg white mixture. Fold waffles in half, completely enclosing the filling. Use fork to very firmly crimp edges together. Place on baking sheet coated with cooking spray.
5. Bake, uncovered, at 425° F about 10 minutes or until golden, turning after 5 minutes. Cool slightly. Serve immediately.
Microwave cooking times may vary.